Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, tasteless and odourless gas that can cause harmful and potentially fatal effects. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels, such as gas and oil. This can occur in inadequately maintained or badly fitted domestic heating appliances, such as gas and oil fired boilers and gas fires. If your flue or chimney is blocked, Carbon monoxide (CO) will be unable to escape your home if produced, allowing a dangerous concentration to quickly build up. If carbon monoxide escapes into your home it will cause symptoms that include headaches, breathlessness, drowsiness, vomiting, chest pains, dizziness, vision problems and eventually collapse and loss of consciousness – which can easily be confused with, or misdiagnosed as, flu, fatigue or even food poisoning.
Be aware of the symptoms and be prepared to react if you recognise them in yourself or others. Reducing the risk When was the last time your boiler was serviced? Ensuring that your gas appliances are installed and regularly serviced by Oil and Gas Safe Registered engineers is the first step to safety within your home. Landlords are legally obliged to have an annual safety check completed in every property they let - and should provide tenants with a copy of the certificate. Please be sure to install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home.
The sensing technology in a carbon monoxide detector accurately measures the levels of CO and the time of exposure, and is designed to sound before carbon monoxide levels become threatening.